Translate

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Saturday In Florence, CO

I am fortunate to live near Florence, CO.  Its major claim to fame is that it houses the infamous Super Max.  Scary, I know.  However, what most people don't know is that it is also home to many, many antique stores. 

When I was a kid, the town was falling apart.  They had more bars along main street than they had stores. In effect, it was a dying town.  Once the prison was built just outside of town, it started to get a little better.  However, the main street still suffered. 

Several years ago, the business owners decided to change the face of their town and antique stores started blossoming all along the main thoroughfare.  Eventually, the townsfolk decided that they would turn Florence into the place to go in Colorado for antique shopping.  They haven't quite succeeded, yet, but they're working on it.  Meanwhile, it's a little gem that we locals get to hog all to ourselves.

Every few months, I like to head over and check out what's happening.  I have a couple stores that I visit every time I make the trip, but I also try to visit at least 1 new shop, as well.  Yesterday, my niece and I drove on over and spent the day browsing and taking pictures. 

My first stop is always at The Mezzanine.  It's huge; and there's always lots of interesting items. 


I've found a lot of my vintage crochet books at The Mezzanine, but yesterday I was out of luck.  Their craft books had been pretty well picked over.  At least I got a picture of the fabulous lamp display they had on the second floor.  Aren't they just gorgeous?

Every time I go to Florence, I find that I tend to focus on a particular type of item.  It's not that I go searching for it, but it will catch my eye in a store, and thenceforth I look for the same things in all the other stores that I visit.  Yesterday I fixated on cash registers and typewriters.  Here are a few pictures of what I found.


As a writer, I've always been fascinated by old typewriters.  But the cashier fixation was a bit of a surprise to me.  I think the top one looks so cool.  It's what we all imagine old registers looked like back in the day.  But I think the two Brandt registers are so much cooler.  When I saw the first one, I thought it might have been an old version of a calculator, but, though you can't really see it in the picture, it says automatic cashier, just like the second one.  So nifty.

My favorite store in town, though, is Legends and Lace Antiques.  The front room is chock full of Victorian clothing, hats, furniture and knick-knacks.  The back room is more western.  But the best part of this store is that Sarah, the owner, made every lampshade in the store.  You can see some of her country themed shades in her display window below.

The shades I love the most, though, are her Victorian themed shades.  They are so gorgeous, and they make me want to learn to make lampshades.


(My favorite is the crescent moon-shaped one with the fringe.) 
 
The last time I was in, Sarah was taking a hiatus from lampshade-making.  But yesterday, the clerk told me that not only was she making them again, but she will take consignment orders if you email her at Sarah@HatsandShadesBySarah.com.  I know, I know, I sound like a commercial.  No, Sarah has not paid me to advertise for her.  I just love her work and want to share it with as many people as possible.  If you ever get to Florence, you have to stop and check out her store.  (And, oh yeah, she makes and refurbishes Victorian hats, as well.)

Well, this post has been a bit rambling, but that's how my trip was yesterday.  It just seems fitting that I should let you experience my rambles as I did.  One final word, though.  When you come visit Florence, make sure you stop at The Pour House.  This was the "new" store I visited on this trip.  The coffee was pretty good, and it looked like the lunch menu was tasty, but what was most impressive was the atmosphere.  Lots of art on the walls, hardwood floors, comfy seating.  It was nothing like what I expected to find in Florence, even taking into account the changing face of the town, itself.

With love,
The Crocheting Cat Lady



No comments:

Post a Comment